SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
- Dynamic, efficient communications director and creative editor with more than 25 years utilizing the razor-sharp skills of a journalist, the people-friendly skills of a manager, and the intellectual curiosity of a science writer
- Adept in higher ed marketing and branding strategy, as well as re-branding
- Significant editing experience in the fields of journalism and educational publishing.
- Awareness of and commitment to educational equity issues.
- Sophisticated understanding of multiculturalism and diversity issues.
- Effective people- and project-centered management practices.
- Extensive creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to sustain, grow, and mentor a diverse pool of creators.
- Skilled in managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Experience managing budgets for magazines and communications office.
- Cultivates and works with both staff and freelance writers, graphic designers, developers, photographers, and videographers.
- Supervises staff and freelance writers; finds, hires, and assigns work to writers.
- Supervises numerous writers and interns.
- Communicates with publisher and USPS; files annual postal report.
- Develops and maintains relationships with alumni and friends of the university
- Interacts regularly with university administrators, alumni, faculty, and students to support strategic goals
- Responsible for acquiring artwork and working directly with the art director.
- Worked extensively with faculty and administration.
- Coordinated visits, dinners, and events for prospective graduate students.
- Organized readings and receptions for visiting writers.
- Responsible for producing and setting publication schedule.
- Managed all aspects of three major redesigns of the alumni publications.
- Edits and proofs all copy for print publications.
- Updated and produced new admissions publications.
- Oversaw monthly e-newsletters for alumni and parents; responsible for content and editing.
- Produced one to three stories per week for national science publication.
- Generates ideas, researched stories, attended press conferences, conducted interviews.
- Edited and proofread page proofs.
- Edited and proofed all copy for magazine and other alumni publications.
- Organized graduate-school submissions; first reader of applications.
- Courses taught: Composition and Rhetoric, Basic Writing, Writing in the Social Sciences, Business Writing, Magazine Article Writing, Editing, American Humor.
- Founder of and Faculty Advisor for Service Learning in India.
- Faculty Advisor for Operation Smile.
- Faculty Advisor for Senior Honors Thesis in Nonfiction Writing.
- Responsible for design and course content of Magazine Article Writing.
- Taught composition and writing at Rockview Correctional Institution (medium-max security prison).
The University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
Director of Communications, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- Built a communications office from the ground up; recruited and mentored creatives in a variety of fields.
- Developed a brand identity and strategic communications goals for the UF College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Created and implemented communications strategies that encompass print and new media, adhering to university’s style guide and branding principles in all products
- Handle day-to-day running of cohesive communications office
- Responsible for managing staff and overseeing communications budget.
- Work closely with UF’s Office of Advancement and Alumni Affairs to align communications strategy with their development goals.
- In charge of coordinating university photography: hiring, working with, and directing freelance photographers.
Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA
Editor, Director of Photography, Bucknell Magazine
- Involved with national media and writing op-ed pieces for president; supervised other special projects as necessary, e.g. project leader for comprehensive arts piece to be used for prospective students and as a pre-campaign publication.
- Produced an award-winning, bi-monthly alumni magazine.
- Directed all photography for the university that shaped the visual brand identity.
- Participated in advisory, alumni board, and parents board meetings on a regular basis.
Interim Co-Director, Office of Communications
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
Senior Lecturer 1997–2001
Associate Director, English MFA Program 1997–1998
Associate Editor, The Penn Stater 1994–1997
The Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, Harrisburg, PA
Science News, Washington, D. C.
Science Writing Intern 1994
Associated Press, State College, PA
Freelance Writer and Editor 1986–present
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
MFA, English, May, 1993
The Pennsylvania State University, The Schreyer’s Honor College, University Park, PA
B.A. in English, Magna Cum Laude, May, 1988
- Association for Academic Women at the University of Florida, publicity chair, 2017–present
- Gainesville Pet Rescue, board member, 2015–18
- Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, member and key volunteer, 2002–14
- Faculty leader for Civil Rights Spring Break trip.
- Facilitator for high-ropes challenge course.
- Facilitator for race dialogue.
- National Press Club Nonresident Member, 2002–present.
- National Association of Science Writers, member, 1994–present.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, Circle of Excellence award for publication redesign, 2018
- Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, District III, Award of Excellence for publication redesign, 2017
- Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, District II, gold award for best article, 2013.
- PRSA Keystone Award, Bucknell Magazine, 2009.
- Cuppie Award, silver for print, Bucknell Magazine, 2009.
- Magnum Opus gold award for most improved design, Bucknell Magazine, 2008.
- Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, consistent winner for Bucknell World, 2002–07.
- Association of Educational Publishers, Distinguished Achievement Award in the category of Periodicals News Story, 2003.
- Society for Professional Journalists, NJ Chapter, 3rd place award for profile writing, 2000.
- Society for Professional Journalists, NJ Chapter, 3rd place award for science and health writing, 1999.
- Council for the Advancement and Support of Education Silver Award for Best Article of the Year, 1998.
- American Society of Association Executives Gold Circle Award for feature writing, 1995.
- New Letters Literary Award, honorable mention nonfiction, 1995.
- Endometriosis Association honorable mention for writing, 1995.
- Associated Writing Programs Intro Award for poetry, 1992.
I have written several hundred articles of all lengths for Ytori, Bucknell Magazine, Bostonia, Technology Review, Penn Arts and Sciences, Research/Penn State, Science News, Rutgers Magazine, Ararat Magazine, Denison Magazine, The Penn Stater, Poets & Writers, and others.
References available upon request.